Catholics Propel For Greater Glory
To Box Office Top 10
To Box Office Top 10
True Story of the Cristiada ranks No. 5 in per-screen average
SANTA MONICA, CALIF. – June 8, 2012 – Thanks to tremendous support from Catholics across the country, FOR GREATER GLORY earned more than $1.8 million on only 757 screens over its opening weekend – good enough for the No. 10 spot in overall box office for all films in release. The film from Dos Corazones Productions, distributed by ARC Entertainment, finished at No. 5 in per-screen average among the top 10 at $2,378 per screen.
A complete theater list – and links for advance ticket purchases online through Fandango, MovieFone and MovieTickets.com – are available at the film’s official website, www.ForGreaterGlory.com.
Audiences who saw the film over opening weekend were polled as they left theaters, and the information confirmed that Catholics have supported FOR GREATER GLORY in virtually every market:
• Nine of 10 audience members were Catholic
• Roughly 65 percent who saw the film had not been to the movies in more than a month
• Three of four FOR GREATER GLORY fans on opening weekend go to Mass at least weekly
FOR GREATER GLORY opens its second week in theaters today, with a significant number of holdover markets being supplemented by opening in additional markets. Catholics around the country have a chance to continue supporting this film beginning on the day of the nation’s second round of rallies for religious freedom.
Social media has been alive with posts about the film from those who saw FOR GREATER GLORY over opening weekend. Here are samples of the posts that have appeared over the weekend on Facebook and Twitter.
• Monica Aguilar: “Just saw the movie with my mom and husband. We all loved it. It was very moving and inspiring. The theatre was almost full and the audience was really attentive. At the end, everyone applauded and even yelled, “Viva Cristo Rey! Que Viva!” It was outstanding!”
• Hank Keller: “An excellent & timely movie!!! We took the family to see the 10:40PM showing at Rave Motion Pictures at the Jefferson Pointe Mall in Fort Wayne. (The closest location we could find – 71 miles) It is well worth the time & effort. Don’t be afraid of the R rating if you took your children to see The Passion of the Christ.”
• Paul Kulda: “Super good. Y’all should see it. Makes me more proud than ever to be Catholic. ¡Viva Cristo Rey!”
• Jennifer Naatz-Smith: “GREAT GREAT GREAT movie….EVERYONE needs to see this as unfortunately this could happen again! I pray it does well at the box office…we need to spread the news and get people to support this movie.”
From Twitter• @lmquigley: “Viva Cristo Rey! Loved #ForGreaterGlory – inspiring, moving, exciting performances. Will see it again!”
• @GinaGinadel: “#ForGreaterGlory is one of the best movies I have ever seen! I give it 5 stars and highly recommend it! #BestCatholicMovieEver”
• @lwilhelm911: “omg @ForGreaterGlory – SUCH an amazing powerful movie! highly recommend this inspiring faith-filled film!”
• @eiVega: “My whole theater burst into cheers of Viva Cristo Rey and applause at the end of @ForGreaterGlory. It was a very impressive film.”
“To describe this film as stirring or powerful would do it a disservice,” said Most Rev. Charles J. Chaput, Archbishop of Philadelphia. “FOR GREATER GLORY is much more than an exercise in piety; it’s an extraordinary portrait of ordinary people struggling to defend their convictions. It’s among the most absorbing films by any director or movie studio that I’ve seen in the past few years.”
FOR GREATER GLORY brings the brutal truth of the Cristiada to the big screen with vivid accuracy. Academy Award® nominee Andy Garcia and Golden Globe winner Eva Longoria lead a stellar multinational cast that includes legendary Oscar® winner Peter O’Toole, rapidly rising star Oscar Isaac (DRIVE), recording star and actor Ruben Blades (SAFE HOUSE), Bruce Greenwood (STAR TREK, SUPER 8), Nestor Carbonell (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, “Lost”), Bruce McGill (LINCOLN), Santiago Cabrera (“Heroes,” CHE), Oscar®-nominated Catalina Sandino Moreno (MARIA FULL OF GRACE), and Eduardo Verástegui (BELLA). FOR GREATER GLORY also features teenager Muricio Kuri in a stunning portrayal of Blessed José Sanchez del Rio, who joined the Cristeros at 14 and served as a flag bearer before being martyred by Calles’ Federales.
Many of the Cristero martyrs were Knights of Columbus, and the organization has spearheaded production of a behind-the-scenes look at the movie that includes historical background on the Cristero War. Anyone can watch the 30-minute program online.
In addition, Ignatius Press is publishing the official companion book to the film, For Greater Glory: The True Story of the Cristiada. Written by noted Cristero War historian and expert Ruben Quezada, English and Spanish editions of the book will hit shelves shortly after the film’s June 1 opening.
FOR GREATER GLORY is a production of Dos Corazones Studios, and is distributed by ARC Entertainment. For interviews with Producer Pablo Barroso, other members of the cast and crew, or official-companion-book author Ruben Quezada, please contact Alexis Walkenstein (561-445-5409 or Email), Tim Lilley (678-990-9032 or Email) or Kevin Wandra (678-990-9032, or Email) of The Maximus Group.
Visit the online newsroom at www.MaxOnDeadline.com/ForGreaterGlory for backgrounders, still images and other media resources.
Like and share the Facebook page.
Follow the Twitter feed.